September 13, 2014

An Honest 10 Books list

Everyone is going high-end literature buff with this task of listing their favourite ten books, or atleast that is what it seems to me. Books entered my life much later than usual, at the age of 19 when I read my first full fledged novel/book. But in my life so far, I have lived with academics and being a civil services aspirant. So now, I have two lists. The first one is from my pretentious self, the second list is from my nerdy self. These are the books that remain with me even today:

(in no particular order)

LIST#1

1) The Harry Potter series by J.K.Rowling
Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban in particular, because it was the first book I EVER read.

2) The Shiva Trilogy by Amish
Shiva is my favourite mythological character and Indus Valley Civilization is my favourite period of study in History. I had to love the series.

3) The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown
The book blew my mind. I finally realised that I had an inclination for conspiracy novels.

4) Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
This book took me a month to finish but it was nothing less than magic.

5) Windmills of the Gods by Sidney Sheldon
Love for the book, more love for the genre

6) Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding
Bridget is basically me.

7) Lord of the Rings by J.R.R.Tolkein
Transported.

8) Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L.James
For Christian Grey. Also, it is Beyonce certified.

9) White Mughals by William Dalrymple
Grand. Epic.

10) Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach
"Do you want to fly so much that you will forgive the Flock, and learn, and go back to them one day and work to help them know?"


LIST#2

1) A Cultural History of India - A.L.Basham
2) Oxford Disctionary of World History
3) Quantitative Aptitude - Dr.R.S.Aggarwal
4) NCERT Textbooks
5) Machiavelli's Prince
6) Medieval India - Satish Chandra
7) India's Struggle for Independence - Bipin Chandra
8) Civil Service Chronicle
9) Early History of India - Romila Thapar
10) Tinkle

I have a few books on the waitlist waiting to be read:
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Empire of the Mughals by Alex Rutherford, Life of Pi by Yann Martel, Discourses by Karl Marx, Chanakya's Chant by Ashwin Sanghi, Love in the time of Cholera by Garcia Gabriel Marquez and The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald.

Do I need to add more to my to-read list? I'd love some suggestions! 

2 comments:

  1. Just desired to comment and say which i genuinely like your weblog structure plus the way in which you create too. It’s very refreshing to see a blogger like you... Keep it up…
    Visit here for my blog People are Amazing

    ReplyDelete